When you and your dog have a strong connection, it leads to a happier life together. Are you curious to know if your pup is bonded to you? Here are a few telltale signs:
1) They snuggle with your belongings, especially clothing. As we know, dogs have an exceptionally strong sense of smell. Since your clothes carry your scent, a bonded dog finds comfort snuggling into them. How sweet!
2) They rest their head on you. When your dog rests their head on your foot or lap, it’s their way of showing you that they feel very safe and trusting in your presence.
3) They are expressive and make eye contact. A fearful dog generally won’t make direct eye contact. When you and your dog are bonded, they’ll lock eyes easily and also show lots of expression - for example, they'll show you their more playful side!
4) They yawn when you do. Dogs are one of the few animals that, like humans, are contagious yawners. A study performed at the University of Tokyo showed that dogs are more likely to yawn after seeing their owners yawn, showcasing empathy and an strong emotional bond. Pretty cool, huh?
So, are you and your dog bff (best friends fur-ever)? 👯♀️ If you have a new pup and are working on strengthening your relationship, here are a few things to try:
1) Provide a routine. Dogs respond very well to having structure in their life. Having a schedule around feeding, bedtime, walks, etc can show them you’re reliable and strengthen trust.
2) Spend time with them. Your dog wants to feel like part of the pack, so spend extra time snuggling, walking, and playing to help them connect with you.
3) Be patient. Sometimes developing a bond takes time, and that’s totally okay! It took our dog June, a timid rescue pup, a couple weeks before she’d even leave one room of our house without lots of encouragement. Now she is happily bonded to us and living her best life! Give your dog time and space to grow their trust in you – soon you’ll have an incredible and totally special bond.
The biggest thing to remember is that when you treat your dog with lots of love and respect, they will return it to you ten-fold. They really are our best friends!